As we wrap a bow on 2020 here at the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC), it is humbling to look back on all that has taken place and all we’ve been able to accomplish with the support of our members.
2020 was no doubt a significant year! It was marked by a global Coronavirus pandemic, changing politics, and a shift in the way the world thinks about health and well-being. It also sparked conversations about equality, the value of community, and how important it is to stay connected.
At the same time, the OAC stayed busier than ever – finding new ways to support our members and making sure that people with obesity have a seat at the table while these important conversations are taking place. Our incredible volunteers and advocates continued working to provide the education, advocacy and support we know is so crucial to our community.
Here’s a look back at the OAC in 2020 and what we’ve accomplished, together.
OAC in 2020: Top 10 Highlights
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) called for the use of People-First Language for obesity on its website and linked to the OAC for additional information and resources.
- We supported Obesity Care Week 2020 as a Founding Champion among 75 other supporting organizations. Highlights of OCW2020 included sending a letter to the World Health Organization to recognize obesity as a chronic disease and reaching 185 U.S. legislators about supporting the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act.
- To help our community navigate the Coronavirus pandemic, we created a COVID-19 resource page for updates about obesity, wellness tips, ways to stay connected and more.
- We hosted YWM2020-VIRTUAL, the OAC’s first virtual Convention that brought quality health education and support to more than 2,000 registrants from 59 countries and 47 states.
- We expanded our global advocacy by joining the Global Obesity Patient Alliance among other obesity patient organizations from around the world.
- As the link between COVID-19 severity and obesity became clearer, we advocated for the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act to be included in any future COVID-19 pandemic relief packages.
- The OAC’s Diversity and Inclusivity Task Force was created to make sure inclusion, diversity and equity are always a part of our efforts and initiatives.
- We launched our first monthly broadcast under OAC-TV in October, and since hosted three exciting episodes featuring trending topics, insight from experts and thought-provoking discussions.
- Research into weight bias continued that will help the OAC launch a bias-focused campaign in 2021.
- We debuted a new online video training series to help individuals become advocates in their communities and make a difference toward specific issues they care about.
Here’s to a year full of ACTION in 2021!