For 15 years, the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) has been the nation’s leading organization standing up for people with obesity. Today, with more than 70,000 members standing behind us, our mission has never been stronger: to elevate and empower those affected by obesity through awareness, education, advocacy and support.
We couldn’t have come this far without you!
Filling the Gap
As the OAC celebrates 15 years, we’re reflecting on our journey and all the milestones we’ve reached together! Before the OAC existed, there was no one representing people with obesity. Then one day, during a meeting of legislators, a congressperson stood up and pointed out a problem: that he could completely eliminate insurance coverage of obesity treatments because there was no one to represent people with the disease.
That legislator pointed out a serious need: a group whose only focus was on filling this gap. With this, the OAC was formed in 2005 and has since become a powerful voice for changing the world for people with obesity.
With your support, we’ve made unbelievable strides in fighting weight bias and discrimination, growing obesity awareness, improving access to care and treatment, and much more! A look back at some of our milestones:
- 2007 – OAC wins fight to end IQ testing requirement for bariatric surgery
- 2008 – One million educational resources provided for individuals across the nation
- 2010 – OAC participates in first FDA hearing on obesity treatment options
- 2013 – Obesity gets recognized as a disease by the American medical association
- 2014 – OAC calls on tech giants to remove fat-shaming apps
- 2016 – OAC creates image gallery to challenge obesity perceptions
- 2016 – OAC calls on TNT to suspend Charles Barkley for stigmatizing comments
- 2018 – ObesityCareProviders.com launches to help patients find care
- 2019 – CBS responds positively after OAC points out weight bias in ‘Blue Bloods’ episode
- 2020 – OAC joins Global Obesity Patient Alliance
Click Here to see more milestones through the years!
Fighting for the Future
The OAC won’t stop fighting for people with obesity, and we hope you’ll stand with us every step of the way to build the world we need.
As we look forward to the next 15 years, we hope you will show your commitment to our mission with a contribution of $15 — one dollar for every year we’ve been offering hope and help to millions. Want to make an even bigger impact? Consider joining our monthly giving program with a $15/month contribution.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.