We’re in DC to Push TROA!
Today is an exciting day on Capitol Hill for obesity care advocates, because Congress will further open its eyes to treating obesity seriously. The Treat & Reduce Obesity Act (TROA) will soon be reintroduced, and now it needs the support of U.S. legislators.
So, the OAC rallied a powerhouse group of our Community Members to join the Obesity Care Advocacy Network on Capitol Hill to speak with them. Here’s what’s on the agenda:
- Educating U.S. legislators on why TROA is crucial to our nation’s health
- Sharing our personal stories to humanize obesity
- Urging U.S. legislators to co-sponsor and support this landmark bill!
Act Today and Add Your Support:
Even if you’re not here with us on Capitol Hill, you can join our efforts to put TROA in the sights of lawmakers – right from home! There are 3 primary ways you can take OAC Action:
(1) Send a Message (Psst…we’ve already built one for you!)
Write a note to your state legislators and urge them to co-sponsor and support TROA! Not sure what to write? The OAC has you covered. CLICK HERE to visit our Action Center and use our automated message generator.
Have a personal story you want to share? Our message generator can be customized. If your legislators are already supporting TROA, you can also edit the message to say thanks!
(2) Pick up the Phone (Seriously, don’t be shy)
Despite what you may think, calling the Capital isn’t intimidating. Just dial (202) 224-3121 for the Capitol Switchboard. Tell the staffer you’re a constituent from (City/State) and you want to urge your (Senator/House Rep) to support the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act. If you call after hours, just leave a message with the same info.
Want more tips on making a productive phone call to the Capital? CLICK HERE.
Post to Social Media:
The third way you can help is to take your message online. In addition to more than 190 million U.S. users, more than 95 percent of Congress members have active social media accounts!
Spread the word about supporting TROA with Congress, family, friends, colleagues and more. Not sure what to write? Try these sample posts:
For general followers:
- #Obesity is a partisan issue! @HouseDemocrats @HouseGOP @SenateDems @SenateGOP Support the Treat & Reduce Obesity Act #TROA and allow people access to care #OACAction
- Contact your members of Congress & ask them to support the Treat & Reduce Obesity Act #TROA. @ObesityAction makes it easy! Learn more: https://www.obesityaction.org/troa #OACAction
For Congress members:
- As a person affected by #obesity, I urge you (locate Twitter handle of your Member of Congress) to support the Treat & Reduce Obesity Act #TROA and allow people access to care. https://www.obesityaction.org/troa #OACAction
- As a healthcare provider, I urge you (locate Twitter handle of your Member of Congress) to support the Treat & Reduce Obesity Act #TROA and allow people access to care. https://www.obesityaction.org/troa #OACAction
Remember, adding a personal touch to your posts (such as your story) goes a long way. To find the Twitter handles of your state legislators, please CLICK HERE.
Brag to the OAC!
If you’ve supported TROA in any of the ways listed above, or in your own way, let us know! Either use #OACAction in your social media posts or email [email protected] so we can better track the activity of OAC Community Members and supporters.
Let’s bring TROA past the finish line!