OAC’s Annual Awards Program honors outstanding OAC members and volunteers for their tireless efforts to help individuals affected by obesity through education, advocacy and support. Our members truly drive the successes of the OAC, and we are honored to have celebrated these individuals that have made a direct impact in advancing the goals and mission of the OAC.
This year’s awards ceremony was held in conjunction with the 2015 National Convention in San Antonio, we presented seven awards in key areas of focus for the OAC. Of the seven awards, four are open to the membership to submit nominations. The remaining award recipients were selected by the OAC Nominating Committee (see right to view members).
In 2005, the OAC was founded at a meeting of legislators, when one elected official stood up and said, “I can eliminate access to obesity surgery in my state today and not a single person would stop me.” In that sentence, the reason for the OAC’s existence was born. This year we are celebrating 10 years of standing for the individuals that are affected by obesity, and with that, we have created an award, the OAC Milestone Award,that can be given to show our sincerest gratitude to individuals who helped the OAC reach key milestones.
The 2015 OAC Annual Award Recipients:
- Bias Buster of the Year – Justin D. Puckett, DO, FAAFP
- Barbara Thompson Award for Advocacy – Patty Nece, JD
- Community Leader of the Year – BMI of Texas
- Healthcare Provider Advocate of the Year – Scott Kahan, MD, MPH
- OAC Chairman’s Award – Jaime Fivecoat, MBA
- Dr. Robin Blackstone Outstanding Membership Recruitment by a Physician – Rocky Mountain Associated Physicians
- OAC Member of the Year – Rob Portinga
The OAC Milestone Award
- Robin Blackstone, MD
- Georgeann Mallory, RD
- Christopher D. Still, DO, FACN, FACP
- Joseph Nadglowski, Jr.
- Kristy Kuna
- James Zervios
To view past award winners, please click here.