Your Full Name
Your Full Address
Your City, State and Zip
Your Phone Number with Area Code
Benefits Manager’s Name
Employer’s City, State, Zip
Dear Benefits Manager, [INSERT NAME]
In your first paragraph, mention the following points:
1. Discuss how you recently contacted your insurance provider to inquire about treatments for the disease of obesity and you were told that [INSERT RECOMMENDED TREATMENT: bariatric surgery, FDA-approved anti-obesity medications, nutritional counseling, mental health and behavioral counseling] is not covered under their policy.
2. Share a brief medical history of your struggles with this disease. Tell the individual how obesity and its related conditions have affected you and your family. Elaborate on the number and cost of medications you are currently taking due to your obesity-related conditions. (Remember to remain brief. A short letter can accomplish just as much as a long one.)
In your second paragraph, mention the following items:
1. The number of people affected by obesity – click here to find state-specific information.
2. Health outcomes are better for all diseases when treatment options are available, affordable, and accessible.
3. Patients with obesity deserve access to FDA-approved treatments in the same way we cover treatments for hypertension, diabetes, and other chronic diseases.
In your last paragraph, discuss the following closing items:
1. Request that your employer adjust their insurance policy to include comprehensive treatment for the disease of obesity including bariatric surgery, FDA-approved anti-obesity medications, nutritional counseling, mental health and behavioral counseling.
2. Request a timely response and thank them for their time and assistance.
Your Full Name
Back to “Reviewing Your Policy“