What is NOCW?
Founded in 2015, NOCW envisions a society that understands, respects and accepts the complexities of obesity and values science and clinically-based care.
National Obesity Care Week (NOCW) aims to change the way we care about obesity by:
- Providing science and clinically-based education on obesity
- Advocating for access to affordable and comprehensive care
- Weight bias in healthcare, employment, entertainment and education needs to end.
- Individuals with obesity need to work with a healthcare provider to manage their obesity long-term.
- Obesity is a chronic disease that needs access to and coverage of science-based treatment to improve an individual’s weight and health.
- Healthcare providers need training to provide effective, compassionate, science-based care and use shared decision-making.
- Providers and policy makers must recognize the need for further investment in the education, prevention and treatment of the disease of obesity.
Today, the disease of obesity affects more than 93 million Americans, and more than 33 percent of Americans are affected by excess weight. National Obesity Care Week brings the topic of obesity in the forefront and helps individuals with obesity get access to science and clinically-based treatments.