It is very important that individuals affected by obesity have access to quality healthcare. All care provided should be respectful, unbiased, personalized and based in science. When someone doesn’t have this, his or her health can be jeopardized. They are also more likely to delay or cancel important medical appointments, or not make them at all.
Share Your Obesity Healthcare Experiences
Nearly everyone affected by obesity has faced weight bias in a healthcare setting. Weight bias is a barrier to quality care. The OAC believes that if more people share their positive and/or negative healthcare experiences, we can set the standard for what good obesity care looks like. Sharing our experiences raises awareness about the need to treat obesity seriously.
Will you share with us? Tell us your experiences about a time where…
- Your HCP focused on your total health, not just your weight.
- You felt your experiences were valid.
- Your HCP understood that weight-loss is about more than eating less and moving more.
- A clinic, office or hospital had equipment and/or accommodations to fit your needs.
- Your HCP handled the topic of weight with respect and sensitivity.
OR about a time where…
- Your HCP let the topic of weight take over your visit.
- You did not feel listened to or understood.
- Your HCP blamed you for your weight.
- Your HCP simplified weight-loss (Ex: Eat less, more more).
- A clinic, office or hospital did not have equipment and/or accommodations to fit your needs.
- Your HCP handled the topic of weight without respect and sensitivity.
To share your healthcare experiences, CLICK HERE to visit the OAC Community Discussion Forum. You can also email [email protected] if you would like your story to be featured on the OAC Community Blog.
Take Action NOW against Weight Bias in Healthcare
Help the OAC end weight bias in healthcare! Sign-on to our letter this July that asks the top 10 U.S. leading healthcare professional organizations to include weight bias education in trainings, seminars and more. Adding your voice will grow our impact and improve the quality of obesity care everywhere.