As we continue riding the wave of so many new and exciting initiatives so far in 2018, OAC is proud to once again recognize National Obesity Care Week (NOCW)! This year’s powerful awareness campaign will take place October 7th – 13th, and as a Founding Champion of NOCW, OAC is gearing-up to help the campaign Change the Way We Care about obesity.
About National Obesity Care Week (NOCW)
Founded in 2015, NOCW envisions a society that understands, respects and accepts the complexities of obesity and values science-based care. Its mission is to advance a science-based understanding of obesity and widespread access to respectful, comprehensive and appropriate care. The campaign challenges all of us to Change the Way We Care about obesity and believes, as well as spreads the message, that:
- Individuals with obesity must no longer be the target of weight bias in all of life’s settings such as healthcare, employment, entertainment and education.
- Individuals with obesity need to understand that this disease is NOT solely their responsibility and work with a healthcare provider to manage their obesity long-term.
- Like individuals with other chronic diseases, individuals with obesity must have access to and coverage of science-based treatment to improve their weight and health.
- Healthcare providers need to be trained to provide effective, compassionate and science-based care and use of shared decision-making.
- Providers and policy makers must recognize the need for further investment in the education, prevention and treatment of the disease of obesity.
For more information about NOCW, visit: ObesityCareWeek.org.
Join OAC and Take ACTION!
OAC encourages all of our Community members and supporters to help us recognize NOCW and Change the Way We Care about obesity! As NOCW2018 approaches, there will be a number of different ways you can get involved. However, the most important way you can join NOCW’s efforts is to take the pledge to take ACTION. Visit: ObesityCareWeek.org/Action.
What can you do in the meantime? After taking the pledge to take ACTION, stay tuned to your email for important NOCW2018 updates. Also be sure to check-out the NOCW Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages for valuable content and resources.
Together, let’s recognize NOCW2018 and Change the Way We Care about obesity!