1145986_NND-TimelineUpdate-02_080921 On August 17th, we observe National Nonprofit Day, a day set aside to recognize the efforts that nonprofits and charities put into improving their community.
Since its inception in 2005, the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) has worked to make the lives of those affected by obesity better. By raising awareness, pushing for equality and providing education, we have achieved some of our goals and are constantly striving to achieve more.
With the help of our staff, partners, champions, volunteers, and community, we will continue to fight for a better world for those affected by obesity!
A Look at all We’ve Done:
With your help, the OAC has been able to accomplish so many wonderful things over the years. By creating campaigns, providing science-based education to all, fighting discrimination and so much more, the OAC has made great strides over the years. Let’s take a look at some of the things we’ve accomplished throughout the years:
- 2007 – OAC wins fight to end IQ testing requirement for bariatric surgery
- 2008 – One million educational resources provided for individuals across the nation
- 2010 – OAC participates in first FDA hearing on obesity treatment options
- 2013 – Obesity gets recognized as a disease by the American medical association
- 2014 – OAC calls on tech giants to remove fat-shaming apps
- 2016 – OAC creates image gallery to challenge obesity perceptions
- 2016 – OAC calls on TNT to suspend Charles Barkley for stigmatizing comments
- 2018 – ObesityCareProviders.com launches to help patients find care
- 2019 – CBS responds positively after OAC points out weight bias in ‘Blue Bloods’ episode
- 2020 – OAC joins Global Obesity Patient Alliance
- 2020 – The CDC lists OAC as authority on appropriate language and images for obesity
- 2021 – OAC creates the Stop Weight Bias Campaign
Click here to see some of our milestones throughout the years.
Help us Fight the Fight!
For 16 years, the passion and commitment of our supporters have allowed us to improve the lives of millions of individuals affected by obesity. Will you donate to ensure the Obesity Action Coalition can continue working toward our mission? Your donation will allow us to continue to improve access to the prevention and treatment of obesity, provide evidence-based education on obesity and its treatments, fight to eliminate weight bias and discrimination and elevate the conversation of weight and its impact on health.
Click here to donate!