YWM2017- Coming Together: Educate, Advocate, Celebrate HEALTH
To view a full PDF of the article, please CLICK HERE.
Join Us FOR THE 6th annual YWM National Convention
Your journey with weight is an important one – and it’s not meant to be traveled alone. Through every challenge, setback, milestone and victory, there is power in COMING TOGETHER! Imagine having all of the education, tools, support and community that it takes to cross every hurdle and finish line – what would your journey look like then?
You’ve faced the struggles, the misinformation and the roller coaster of ups and downs. You know first-hand how difficult it is to find evidence-based information and support that will successfully help you navigate your journey with weight and health. That’s why the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) was created – to provide individuals just like you with the resources and opportunities to live their fullest and healthiest lives!
Since our inception in 2005, we’ve discovered that one of the best ways to achieve this vision is to unite and connect with one another– and the desire to provide an educational and supportive community has compelled us to host our Annual Your Weight Matters National Convention each year since 2012! This Summer, we’re ready to bring individuals from across the country (and globe!) together once again for a weekend filled with leading education, empowerment and community – and we want you to know that YOU’RE INVITED to join us at YWM2017 as we COME TOGETHER to Educate, Advocate and Celebrate Health!
At YWM2017, You’ll Experience…
World-class Education Presented by the Nation’s Leading Experts
Offering information on more than 50 topics, the OAC’s National Convention is dedicated to providing evidence-based education for any individual looking to manage their weight and health long-term and find lasting support along their journey! Some of the hot topics offered at YWM2017 include:
- The Power of Coming Together: The Harm of Accepting Weight Bias
- The Secret Life of Pets and Human Obesity
- Changing My Weight Destiny: Can I Choose a Diet that Better Matches my Biology?
- What’s YOUR Come Back Rate? How to Turn Struggles into Your Greatest Strengths
- Sweet Dreams: The Relationship between Sleep Health and Your Weight
- ASMBS Nutritional Guidelines
YWM2017 is YOUR place to come and learn what you need for finding long-lasting success on your journey with weight. We know that you have questions, and we know you want access to science-based weight management strategies. That’s why we’ve secured some of the Nation’s biggest names and acclaimed experts in their field – including, but not limited, to:
- Sought-after Registered Dietitian, TV personality and Convention Favorite Dawn Jackson Blatner, RDN, CSSD, LDN
- Internationally recognized, award winning Veterinarian and television guest star, Dr. Ernie Ward, DVM
- Bariatric surgery dietitian and health psychology expert Nina Crowley, PhD, RDN, LD
- Renowned behavioral sleep medicine expert and Associate Professor in the Department of Neurology at Northwestern University, Dr. Jason Ong, PhD.
YWM2017 Exercise Program
At YWM2017, try something new by participating in our safe and supportive exercise program! Stay energized throughout the weekend with our exciting exercise classes encompassing anyone from beginner to more advanced, including:
- Morning walks and runs
- Aqua Zumba
- Hip hop Cardio
The Tools to Advocate for a Healthier Future
You’ll find plenty of opportunities at YWM2017 to discover the power of advocacy and learn how to influence change – through the OAC and through the legislative process! Explore ways to affect change by learning how to advocate for obesity awareness, access to obesity treatments, valuable weight management resources and more!
National Advocacy Training Sessions – Learn from the OAC’s policy consultant and other OAC leaders on how to be an effective advocate for change. Then, put your skills to the test during our mock legislative visits!
Engage! Discover the Power of Your Voice – This interactive, hands-on session is designed for anyone who wants to get more involved with the OAC. It’s an excellent opportunity to learn more about our organization and discover ways that you can help advance our efforts!
OAC’s Advocacy March – Designed as an interactive and community-centered “send-off” to end the weekend, this event showcases advocacy in its many forms and offers activities that support the OAC’s advocacy, education, and weight bias initiatives.
NOTE: The above training sessions are available to all registered Convention attendees and pre-registration is required. Space is limited, so be sure to sign-up in advance when completing your registration.
Earn Up to 18 CE Credits!
At the Your Weight Matters National Convention, nurses and some health professionals have the opportunity to learn what their patients learn about weight, health, nutrition, exercise, obesity and more – and earn CE credits at the same time!
This year at YWM2017, the OAC is excited to offer up to 18 CE credits – more than any other OAC National Convention yet!
- Full Registration w/CE Credits – $145
- Single-day Registration w/CE Credits – $65
A CELEBRATION of Health
No matter where you are at on your journey, or the role you may play in shaping the journey of someone else, celebrating health is important – and we’re celebrating health TOGETHER at YWM2017! Join us as we honor ourselves and those who have helped us along the way with some of our special celebratory evening events:
- Friday Night Welcoming Ceremonies – This kick-off social event of the weekend will feature music, dancing, a buffet dinner and even a costume contest! Our New Orleans-inspired theme this year is “It’s a Celebration!” and attendees are invited to get creative and CELEBRATE with our welcoming and supportive Convention community!
- OAC Annual Awards Ceremony – Held traditionally as more of a formal Convention ceremony, the OAC will host its 6th Annual Reception and Awards dinner to honor our members, advocates and volunteers who exemplify excellence in championing the OAC’s cause and the journey toward improved health!
A Community like No other…
At YWM2017, we’re passionate about providing an environment where ALL individuals can “Come Together” for an empowering and life-changing weekend! The Convention offers a safe and supportive place where you can connect with individuals who have shared experiences, build valuable relationships, gain support and encouragement without judgement, and find the tools and resources you need for long-lasting weight management success.
TO VIEW YWM2017 PROGRAM AGENDA, PLEASE CLICK HERE
Each year at the Your Weight Matters National Convention, we strive to offer exciting, new and special events that will appeal to both seasoned and brand-new attendees! Check out some of these unique highlights you’ll find exclusively at YWM2017:
Point/Counterpoint Series – NEW This Year!
Listen-in as the experts explore both sides of two hotly debated topics related to weight and health, and hear what each point has to say in what’s sure to be two energetic and insightful sessions!
- Point/Counterpoint: Are All Calories Created Equal? – A Lively Discussion between: Robert Kusher, MD and Catherine M. Champagne, PhD, RDN, LDN, FADA, FAND, FTOS
- Point/Counterpoint: Which Impacts Weight Gain More – Genes or Environment? – A Lively Discussion between: Donna Ryan, MD, and Peter T. Katzmarzyk, PhD, FACSM, FAHA
Connect with the Experts
- Lunch with the Experts One of our most popular events of the Convention, Lunch with the Experts offers the unique opportunity for attendees to sit one-on-one with an expert at a topic table of their choice! Note: This special event is an additional $18/day and space is limited, so be sure to sign-up in advance when completing your Registration.
- Coffee with the Experts – NEW This Year!
- Brand-new to the Convention this year as an extension to our popular Lunch with the Experts, you’re invited to grab coffee and sit with an expert about a topic important that’s important to you! Note: This special event is an additional $12/day and space is limited, so be sure to sign-up in advance when completing your Registration.
Afternoon Workshops – NEW This Year!
This year at YWM2017, we’ll be offering two brand-new, ticketed workshops hosted by some of our Convention Favorites that are designed to give attendees a hands-on approach to finding long-lasting support on their journey. Check out these two workshops offered this year at YWM2017:
Finding the Upside of Down –Piece by Piece!
Experience the inspiration behind nationally acclaimed psychotherapist, Merrill Littleberry, as she shows you how to start or restart your journey to “the Upside of down” and create sustainable progress in all aspects of your weight management journey – along with your overall health and life!
Modern Day Meal Planning – Hacks, Shortcuts and the Keys to Nutrition HAPPINESS!
Catch television’s favorite dietitian, Dawn Jackson Blatner, as she offers attendees practical strategies to modern day meal planning – with a glimpse into a newly-coined concept called “Delicious Monotony!” This session is designed specifically for those who’ve never had the time or urge to plan, and want to find the keys to their nutrition HAPPINESS!
Note: These Special ticketed workshops are an additional $15 fee, with 100% of the proceeds benefiting the Convention Scholarship Program.
Your Weight Matters Healthy Living EXPO
The YWM Healthy Living EXPO features a diverse array of 30+ vendors offering proven devices, products, services and samples in the health and wellness industry. Attendees are invited to interact and connect with individuals who have shared experiences, all while hearing from companies and organizations looking to help them on their journey toward improved health!
See What Others Are Saying about the Your Weight Matters National Convention…
“Every year, the OAC’s Convention helps me renew my commitment to my bariatric surgery. I come away refreshed, motivated, informed and ready for another successful year. When I return home, my support groups always look forward to hearing some of the highlights!”
– David Nina,
“I love going to the OAC’s National Convention to catch up with old friends, meet new ones, and find comfort and support around people who have common experiences and challenges similar to my own. I feel fulfilled each year by being a source of care and support to others I share a common bond with.”
– Lisa Hernandez,
San Antonio, TX
“Although my own journey with my weight has been unique, I have always been treated with kindness and concern by everyone associated at the Your Weight Matters National Convention. The Convention is a LIFELINE that I look forward to every year!”
– Mary Grisaffi,
New Orleans, LA
Affordable Pricing Options for Everyone
We know the value in having access to the quality of education that the Your Weight Matters National Convention offers, so we strive to make the cost of attending as affordable as possible! With attendees traveling-in from all across the country (and globe), we have a variety of registration options to meet all needs and budgets – whether you’re a healthcare professional, a patient, or someone who is simply seeking the right education, tools and support for your journey!
For the low starting price of just $40/day, this registration package includes:
- Access to all educational sessions
- and group fitness classes
- YWM Healthy Living EXPO
- Official Convention T-shirt, souvenir tote bag and Convention Program Book
- The opportunity to pre-register for the OAC’s Training Sessions
- One ticket to the OAC’s Advocacy March
Meals, Lunch/Coffee with the experts, social events and special workshops are NOT included with Single-day Registrations.
Full Convention Registration
For just $95, Our full Convention package
- Access to all educational sessions and group
- fitness classes
- YWM Healthy Living EXPO
- Official Convention T-shirt, souvenir tote bag
- and Convention Program Book
- The opportunity to pre-register for the OAC’s
- Training Sessions
- Breakfast on Friday and Saturday morning
- One ticket to the Event Welcoming Ceremonies
- Dinner, Annual Awards Ceremony and
- OAC Advocacy March
Lunch/Coffee with the Experts and special workshops are NOT included with Full Convention Registration.
Reserve Your Room in New Orleans with Our Official Convention Room Block!
The OAC is excited to be hosting our 6th Annual Your Weight Matters National Convention this year in New Orleans at the beautiful Sheraton New Orleans Hotel – just steps away from all of the action in the Big Easy! By booking a room in the host hotel for YWM2017, you’ll have the opportunity to stay right in the middle of it all for just $125/night (Single/Double Occupancy) and experience a classic New Orleans property with amenities you are sure to enjoy, including these special perks:
- Complimentary Wi-fi in each room
- Discounted valet parking – $16/overnight; $10/day (preferred
- parking rates extended to those not staying at the Sheraton as well)
- Complimentary access to the hotel’s fitness facility
Reserve Your Room Online
To reserve your room online for YWM2017, please visit
YWMConvention.com and click on the “Travel Details” section in the top menu bar.
Call to Make a Reservation
To make your reservation by phone, please call (888) 627-7033 and mention the group code “OAC Convention” to receive our preferred rate!
Register NOW and join us as we COME TOGETHER once again to….
Get the RIGHT Education
Advocate for a Healthier Future
Join-in a Welcoming Community
Celebrate Our Journeys – Together!