Get to Know Us – Pam Davis, RN, CBN, MBA
10 Questions with Pam Davis, RN, CBN, MBA, OAC Board Member
1. How did you become involved with the OAC?
I began my career in bariatrics in 2004 and a friend of mine mentioned an organization she had heard was being developed to assist individuals affected by obesity. She said it sounded like a perfect fit for me and she really encouraged me to learn more about the organization. I visited the Web site, completed an application for the advisory committee and was approved by the board. I had no idea at the time how important the OAC would become to me personally and professionally.
2. Have you personally dealt with obesity, and if so, how has it impacted your life?
I have been affected by excess weight my entire life. My first day of first grade I was the heaviest kid in the class. I struggled with my weight throughout childhood, adolescence and as an adult. In 2001 at age 35, I made the decision to undergo laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery. I was my surgeon’s second patient.
3. What is your favorite part about being a board member of the OAC?
Working with such a dedicated, passionate and compassionate group of experts who come together for a common goal, to educate, support and empower those affected by obesity.
4. Why is the OAC valuable in advocating for obesity awareness?
We bring legitimacy in both our dedication and our experiences to an issue that affects so many who are unwilling or unable to speak for themselves.
5. What is one goal that you want to accomplish as a board member?
To decrease, eliminate, eradicate the bias, stigma and discrimination those affected by obesity are subjected to everyday.
6. What is your favorite film?
It’s a tie: Remember the Titans and Forrest Gump
7. What is your fondest memory from this past year?
Seeing the hundreds of people at our annual convention where my friend and now OAC Chairman of the Board, Ted Kyle received the OAC Member of the Year award.
8. If you could’ve had any career other than your current one, what would it have been?
Either a teacher (my choice from grades 1-10) or a lawyer (my choice as a junior and senior).
9. What is your favorite place to vacation?
Cancun is pretty nice, but I’ll take anywhere there’s a beach and an umbrella drink.
10. What is your most prized possession?
I almost said my three dogs, but I certainly don’t own them, in fact-I’m pretty sure they own me!
Have a Question or Comment for Pam?
If you have a question or comment for Pam, simply enter your question in the below
Join us next time as we feature OAC staff member, Kristy Kuna!